Database Engineer - Tallinn
Engineering · Tallinn Flexible Remote
What we’re all about
At Monese, we push the boundaries every day to help people build themselves a better future.
We’re the mobile app alternative to banks, empowering hardworkers and heavylifters all over the world to thrive. Think gig workers, side-hustlers, go-getters, and all those working towards achieving their dreams.
With over 2 million sign-ups across 31 countries, we’re here to build a community where no doors are closed – and we’ve been named ‘Best Challenger Bank' in Europe along the way.
It’s not easy to make big changes in the world, but we’re looking for the right people with enough ambition to help us go the distance.
What you’ll be doing
Here’s how you can join us on our mission:
We opened our doors 3 years ago, so obviously we have systems working and databases up and running, but this is a startup - ie we add functionality, polish stuff, expand and grow fast. We have planned the architecture of databases and optimised these, but you probably know there is a moment these kinds of systems badly need a dedicated geek with experience to take over and own it.
So we are looking for someone who will make sure our mission-critical systems are up and running and several aspects are taken care of:
- Global scalability
- Planning of distributed DB systems
Buzzwords: PostgreSQL, AWS, RDS, cloud, sharding, Linux
What we’re looking for from you
- Know how to take the maximum from PostgreSQL
- Can find ways how to optimize any query that runs in database
- Capable design data models for backend services
- Happy to share your knowledge and experience with team
- Feel comfortable to take lead and driving changes
- Know how to use schema versioning tools
- Have an understanding of SaaS, IaaS and PaaS
- Are convinced that security and resilience is in your blood
- Think agility is your nickname
- Know what is the right thing to do and you follow it
What we consider a plus:
- Knowledge of scripting, business process modelling, machine learning and AI
- Startup experience
What you’ll get from us
We love what we do, and we want to make sure you do too! Here are a few of the benefits we offer:
- An unrivalled opportunity for growth at one of Europe’s leading tech startups
- A flat structure with open communication where everyone has a voice
- The chance to make an impact by helping to build a product used by millions of people across the world
- A huge amount of autonomy and trust in a motivated international team
- The opportunity to travel between our offices and collaborate across teams, cultures and communities (as travel corridors open)
- A stack of modern technologies, including a MacBook as our hardware of choice
- Generous stock options and highly competitive salaries
- 5 weeks of holiday every year to recharge your batteries
- A learning and development support scheme with up to 10 days worth of paid time off per year
- Flexible working between the office and home + flexing hours to fit the demands of life
- Fun team events, activities, and office parties to enjoy with your colleagues
- Dog-friendly office in the city centre with plenty of perks, snacks and drinks + Free Parking
- Your own Monese VIP account for free
- Inclusive Family Friendly policies
- Enhanced Sick Leave policy
- Generous referral bonuses for your equally talented friends or ex-colleagues
We’ve got even more benefits in the pipeline for the end of this year including enhanced health checks with wellness support, Sports and Wellness Programme, and more
How to join us
Sound like a role you want to get on board with? Click on the link to apply and send your CV and cover letter over to us!
At Monese, we’re an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, or belief. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience, skills and personality. We believe in employing a diverse workforce and making it central to our success.