Country Manager - Romania
Romania Fully Remote
What we’re all about
At Monese, we push the boundaries every day to help people build themselves a better future.
We’re the mobile app alternative to banks, empowering hardworkers and heavylifters all over the world to thrive. Think gig workers, side-hustlers, go-getters, and all those working towards achieving their dreams.
With over 2 million sign-ups across 31 countries, we’re here to build a community where no doors are closed – and we’ve been named ‘Best Challenger Bank' in Europe along the way.
It’s not easy to make big changes in the world, but we’re looking for the right people with enough ambition to help us go the distance.
What you’ll be doing
Here’s how you can join us on our mission:
We are looking for a Country Manager to drive our commercial development in Romania. In this role you will be responsible for ensuring profitable customer growth and customer retention in the market. You will be part of Monese’s commercial team while working very closely with our functional Growth and Marketing department as well as other customer-facing teams. This role will involve some travel, primarily within Romania.
You should thrive on change, never be afraid to fail and have an insatiable thirst for constantly finding new ways to drive greater efficiency and growth.
- Drive and facilitate Monese's growth in Romania, identifying opportunities for increasing customer acquisition, activation and retention
- Reaching target segments in-country, creating awareness and intent and boosting conversion into active customers are key objectives
- Customer acquisition and active customer retention will be your primary performance goals
- Guide and support central functional teams, in particular Performance Marketing (digital), Social & Communities, PR, CRM and Promotions with the objective of communicating relevant messages via adequate channels and building community engagement
- Generate ideas for creative and effective marketing, promotion and comms measures.
- Create excitement for your ideas about the market among the stakeholder teams and actively involve yourself in the execution of the measures, using a data-driven approach and managing budgets effectively
- You will contract local agencies or other service providers to the extent necessary to achieve our growth and retention objectives in the target market
- Develop customer acquisition / distribution partnerships that will accelerate our growth in the market. Drive partner negotiations and ensure follow-up so that benefits can be realized. Depending on the type of local partner or service provider you will be responsible for the day-to-day collaboration and the overall relationship
- Generate insights about the Romanian market and our target segment there, i.e. people in volatile circumstances who would like to build up their financial resilience. This includes running experiments and tests
- Liaise with the Customer Services and Localisation teams to facilitate best-in-class delivery for the target market but also to stay close to customers there and understand relevant need and issue patterns
- Work with our Product teams to ensure a good product-market fit and reasonable localization of the Monese app and services. Facilitate market-specific vendor or product partner relationships as needed
- Monitor and connect to the local fintech scene where beneficial; understand technological trends and regulatory developments
What we’re looking for from you
- You are a self-starter, who is comfortable working independently, in geographically distributed teams. Curiosity is one of your defining traits while you draw motivation from tackling big challenges. You learn fast and are willing to dive deep
- You bring a can-do attitude and a commercial mindset, being able to discern facts beyond storytelling and make-believe. You enjoy getting your hands dirty
- Experience in managing fast-paced B2C projects in the digital space, ideally including exposure to payment cards, payments or mobile/ online banking. Track record of delivering ambitious growth targets
- Strong understanding of digital marketing and customer retention levers, across different channels. Hands-on digital marketing experience and familiarity with relevant tools is a plus
- You are familiar and comfortable with working alongside product development and technology teams
- Ability to do a lot with limited resources. Creativity in testing/ piloting activities, reiterating and scaling/stopping
- Strong empathy and modesty – to be able to understand our customers, it is important to grasp the challenges and issues they face and how we can play a part in solving these
- Intrinsic motivation to help to strive people in financially unstable situations build resilience and better manage their financial lives
- Making the team succeed - you take ownership and help colleagues beyond the narrow limits of a role description. We can only win together
- 3-5 years of professional work experience in commercial, business development or growth roles in the fintech, e-commerce or other digital sectors, ideally in start-up or scale-up environments.
- Fluent or native business-level Romanian language skills
- Experience of working with a multinational and multilingual product is an advantage
- Professionalism coupled with a sense of humour
What you’ll get from us
We love what we do, and we want to make sure you do too! Here are a few of the benefits we offer:
- An unrivalled opportunity for growth at one of Europe’s leading tech startups
- A flat structure with open communication where everyone has a voice
- The chance to make an impact by helping to build a product used by millions of people across the world
- A huge amount of autonomy and trust in a motivated international team
- The opportunity to travel between our offices and collaborate across teams, cultures and communities (as travel corridors open)
- A stack of modern technologies, including a MacBook as our hardware of choice
- Generous stock options and highly competitive salaries
- A learning and development support scheme with up to 10 days worth of paid time off per year
- Flexible working between the office and home + flexing hours to fit the demands of life
- Your own Monese VIP account for free
- Inclusive Family Friendly policies
- Enhanced Sick Leave policy
- Generous referral bonuses for your equally talented friends or ex-colleagues
We’ve got even more benefits in the pipeline for the end of this year including enhanced health checks with wellness support, Sports and Wellness Programme, and more
How to join us
Sound like a role you want to get on board with? Click on the link to apply and send your CV and cover letter over to us!
At Monese, we’re an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, or belief. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience, skills and personality. We believe in employing a diverse workforce and making it central to our success.