Banking Operations Lead
At Monese, we make it easy to manage your money – wherever you are in the world. We create financial freedom for all of us that live, work, travel, study or send money abroad.
We’re the mobile app alternative to the banks, offering money accounts you can open instantly. We’re here for everyone, not just for those with perfect credit scores or the right set of utility bills.
With over 2 million sign-ups across 31 countries, we’ve been named ‘Best Challenger Bank' in Europe. We push the boundaries every day, and we’re looking to find the right people to join us on our mission.
About the role:
You will be part of the Banking Tribe with a specific focus on our core payments, accounts, top up, currency conversion and card services. Working closely with colleagues from Product, Technology, Customer Service, Treasury, Finance, Compliance, Legal and other departments, you will oversee and manage the efficient, reliable and compliant operation of these services end-to-end to deliver a great experience to our customers. This role can be based in London or Tallinn.
- Monitor and ensure our core payment services are performing at a high level (e.g. efficiency, availability, success rates, cost effectiveness, breaks), putting in place or improving appropriate reporting, alarm and other control mechanisms.
- Deep dive into business metrics and end-to-end processes to identify potential areas of improvement or weaknesses; set new metrics/ KPIs if required
- Define and own action plans to improve performance and mitigate risks, collaborating with other departments to manage dependencies and committed delivery dates
- Form strong working relationships with key external partners integrated with Monese, ensuring appropriate communication, SLAs, reporting, controls and escalation paths (e.g. banks, FX providers, payment schemes)
- Support new product development by helping to define end-state processes, controls and technical requirements, and provide input to roadmap prioritisation
- Lead partner ops performance reviews, working closely with Commercial and other relevant teams; support evaluations of potential new partners and RFPs
- Lead operational migrations or change projects (e.g. new or partner changes, decommissioning or replacing existing processes or systems)
- Lead the resolution of operational issues large or small, working closely with internal and external partners to identify, assess, report and fix them in a timely manner
- 5+ years relevant experience in a similar operations or programme management role in a credible financial institution, fintech or payment service provider
- Able to thrive in a scale-up environment, managing multiple priorities and ambiguous problems with minimal oversight
- Data and fact-based decision-maker, able to deep dive to root causes of problems
- Resourceful, finds practical solutions; hands-on and gets things done well and quickly
- Good listener and communicator, able to manage senior stakeholders and people from different departments to be on the same page and working effectively
- Has excellent judgement in identifying problems, making trade-off decisions under pressure and proactively stops risks becoming issues
- Calm under pressure and able to rally people to get escalating issues under control
- Customer-obsessed; thinks instinctively from the customer’s perspective and able to factor the customer experience into decision making
Other preferred qualities:
- Has worked closely with software engineers and operations managers
- Understands financial services regulations and infrastructure in the UK and EEA
- Hands on with data (e.g. SQL)
Benefits of working at Monese:
- Ample opportunity for personal growth at one of the leading tech startups in Europe
- A flat structure with open communication where everyone has a voice
- Impactful work – you will help to build a product that is used by millions of people across the world
- High degree of autonomy in a motivated and talented international team
- A stack of modern technologies
- Generous stock options and competitive salary
- Learning and development support scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Monese VIP account
All candidates are subject to background check prior to employment.
We believe in equal opportunities’ statement: Monese is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, or belief. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience, skills and personality. We believe that employing a diverse workforce is the right thing to do and is central to our success.