Head of Data Engineering
Analytics · London, Tallinn Temporarily Remote
At Monese, we make it easy to manage your money – wherever you are in the world. We create financial freedom for all of us that live, work, travel, study or send money abroad. We’re the mobile app alternative to the banks, offering money accounts you can open instantly. We’re here for everyone, not just for those with perfect credit scores or the right set of utility bills. With over 2 million sign-ups across 31 countries, we’ve been named ‘Best Challenger Bank' in Europe. We push the boundaries every day, and we’re looking to find the right people to join us on our mission.
About the role:
The data engineering team at Monese is focused on building a highly robust and scalable data platform and making sure good quality data is available for all our stakeholders.
A key part of success for the team is having scalable, fast, and continuously evolving data processes. The Head of Data Engineering will work both within the data engineering team and across the company to leverage our data at scale and will be responsible for leading and designing data pipelines that power advanced and descriptive analytics work. You’ll be building and managing a team of company-wide experts on big data pipelines, streaming, micro-batch, and batch technologies. The ideal candidate will have strong infrastructure and data architecture skills as well as good experience with data analysis and data modelling. You should also have a proven track record of leading and scaling data teams, strong operational skills to drive efficiency and speed along with strong project management leadership.
- Lead a high-quality data engineering team and design the team to scale
- Build cross-functional relationships with Data Scientists, Product Managers and Software Engineers to understand data needs and deliver on those needs
- Design, build, and launch new data models and data pipelines across all environments
- Manage data infrastructure/cloud cost and continuously deliver improvements in efficiency and performance
- Define the processes and metrics needed to achieve operational excellence in all areas, including project management, data quality, and system reliability
- Establish and evangelize best practices, frameworks and processes across data engineering
- Oversee technical strategy across data integration, data warehousing and data access layers
Requirements for this role:
- 8+ years of experience building and maintaining data platforms
- A strong understanding of data warehousing, data aggregation and machine learning with experience working on Snowflake or any similar data warehouse.
- Proven experience building streaming and batch processing data pipelines with Kafka and Airflow or similar technologies
- Proven experience with distributed computing using a cloud based stack on platforms such as AWS or GCP
- Must be client focused and have exceptional stakeholder management skills across all levels of the business
- Strong experience in building fast, robust, effective and efficient analytics data pipelines with modern cloud development technologies covering data collection, transformation, and storage
- Ability to drive, strong influencing skills and lead with or without formal power and line authority
- Prior experience working with Analytics and with Data Science teams
- Prior experience hiring and mentoring high-caliber, data-focused engineers with diverse technical strengths and backgrounds
Benefits of working at Monese:
- Ample opportunity for personal growth at one of the leading tech startups in Europe
- A flat structure with open communication where everyone has a voice
- Impactful work – you will help to build a product that is used by millions of people across the world
- High degree of autonomy in a motivated and talented international team
- Opportunity to travel between our offices and meet other teams as well
- A stack of modern technologies
- Generous stock options and competitive salary
- Learning and development support scheme (10 day per year)
- Flexible working hours
- Many fun team events, office parties and sports activities to spend some quality time with your colleagues
- Monese VIP account
Sounds like something for you?
Then please send us your CV and cover letter. And be quick to apply, as we will start reviewing the applications and meeting the candidates immediately. All candidates are subject to background check prior to employment